TODD COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
MISSION, SOUTH DAKOTA
The November 13, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Todd County School District Board of Education was held in the Curriculum Center of the Administration Building.
Board President Sandra K. Dillon called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. All motions carried unanimously, unless otherwise stated.
MEMBERS PRESENT: President Sandra K. Dillon, Vice President Debra Boyd, Member Linda Bordeaux, Member Lavern Lanz
MEMBER ABSENT: Melissa Whipple
ADMINISTRATION PRESENT: Superintendent Karen Whitney, Business Manager Chad Blotsky, Public Relations Phyllis Littau
OTHER TCSD STAFF PRESENT: Yancy Gunhammer, Carrie Reinders, Tess Canet, Mary Nylander, DeAnn Eastman Jansen, Jenny Kornely, Rosebud Brushbreaker, Beverly Brandis, Kristin Iyotte, Jim Williams, Betty Sokol, Allen Wilson, Beth Valandra-Burnette, Gwen Wenig, Sandi Wright
OTHERS PRESENT: Michelle Glodt, Earl Hicks
Motion by Bordeaux, second by Boyd to adopt the agenda for the meeting.
CELEBRATE SUCCESSES IN THE DISTRICT:
- Congratulations to the TC Football and Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams. All three earned the South Dakota High School Activities Association Academic Achievement Team Awards. All varsity athletic teams and fine arts groups that achieve a combined grade point average of 3.0 or higher are eligible.
- October Students of the Month are: Freshman Santanna Williams, Sophomore Jacob Wike, Junior Donte Trujillo, and Senior Sam Grimshaw.
- The Rosebud Elementary Drum Group has been invited to perform at the State Tribal Relations Ceremony on February 28, 2018 in Pierre.
- Spring Creek Attendance Incentive – On October 23, Spring Creek Students with a 90% plus attendance participated in a basketball game between students and staff. Of the 72 students enrolled, 34 had 90% plus attendance, and of the 34, six had 100% perfect attendance.
State Technical Advisor Michelle Glodt gave her quarterly report.
TCSD Director of Nursing DeAnn Eastman Jansen gave an update from the school nurses. Two flu clinics had been held the past couple of months. So far this year, nurses have had 1,965 office visits, which averages about 14 students per nurse per day.
School Counselors Mary Nylander, Carrie Reinders, Jenny Kornely, Rosebud Brushbreaker, Beth Valandra-Burnette, and Gwen Wenig gave reports from their various schools.
The First Readings of School Board Policies: GCOAB - Evaluation of Supplemental Contract Personnel; GDJ – Support Staff Assignments & Transfers; JJICA – Athletic Participation of Seventh and Eighth Grade Students at the High School Level; JJICAA – Athletic Participation of Elementary Students Not Enrolled at Todd County Middle School, were held.
Motion by Bordeaux, second by Lanz to approve the Consent Agenda, excluding G, H & I.
A. Approve the minutes of the October 23, 2017 Regular, November 1, 2017 Special and November 6, 2017 Special Meetings. Lanz noted that the minutes noting the location of the October 23, 2017 Regular Meeting should have stated that the meeting was held at the Okreek School Gym, rather than the Okreek Community Building. Noted and corrected.
B. Pay November Bills:
C. Approve Financial Report:
OCTOBER PAYROLL DISBURSEMENTS: General Regular Instructional = $502,110.47; General Substitutes = $12,907.37; Attendance = $11,688.38; Guidance = $41,719.08; Health = $4,973.98;
Curriculum Center = $3,486.74; Computer Instruction = $14,882.58; Board of Education = $1,950.00; Executive Office = $12,324.68; Community Relations = $4,475.42; Federal Programs = $3,685.08; Office of Principals = $83,252.86; Business Office = $23,643.81; Operations &Maintenance = $94,130.74; Security = $16,565.48; Pupil Transportation = $42,211.08; Co-Curricular = $9,512.31; Title VII Indian Education = $18,897.05; Native American Grant = $8,466.66; Johnson O’Malley = $1,278.27; REAP Program = $7,033.34; School Wide = $129,977.96;
Exceptional Ed Instructional = $104,529.70; EX ED 1221611 = $18,379.37; EX ED 1222611 = $8,841.18; EX ED 1226611 = $1,941.62; Human Services Workers 2113-611 = $4,342.00; Nurse = $1,583.34; Psychologist 2140 = $4,780.00; Speech (2152) = $17,303.32; EX ED 2150611 = $2,848.46;
Exceptional Ed Administration = $15,383.88; Ex Ed Pupil Transportation = $4,306.14; EX ED 2730 611 = $1,528.08; Food Service = $40,722.61; TOTAL PAYROLL DISBURSEMENTS FOR THE MONTH OF OCTOBER, 2017 = $1,275,663.04. ACCOUNT BALANCES AS OF OCTOBER 01, 2017: General Fund = ($964,551.54); Special Programs = ( $220,398.57); Capital Outlay = $791,641.58; Exceptional Education = $413,821.18; Pension = $167.11; Impact Aid = $11,672.00;
8 Plex Apartments = ($360,144.78); Food Service = $148,238.94; Trust & Agency = $120,677.93;
RECEIPTS: General Fund - Taxes = $12,983.72; Interest = $15.61; Local = $21,652.63; County/State = $903,318.00; Federal = $6,949.60; Transfer = $2,000,141.20; SPECIAL PROGRAMS – Native American Grant = $38,006.39; CAPITAL OUTLAY – Taxes = $13,237.03;
EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATION -Taxes = $7,152.21; County/State = $158,542.00; PENSION –Taxes = $16.96; IMPACT AID –Transfer = ($11,672.00); 8PLEX APARTMENTS – Transfer = $698,485.38; FOOD SERVICE – Food Service = $199,239.59; TRUST & AGENCY – Trust & Agency = $15,238.89; DISBURSEMENTS: General Fund = ($1,497,165.96); Special Programs = ($287,981.59); Capital Outlay = ($244,689.00); Exceptional Education = ($300,781.27);
8 Plex Apartments = ($340,140.52); Food Service = ($203,161.33); Trust & Agency = ($18,172.65);
ACCOUNT BALANCES AS OF OCTOBER 31, 2017: General Fund = $483,343.26; Special Programs = ($470,373.77); Capital Outlay = $560,189.61; Exceptional Education = $278,734.12;
Pension = $184.07; Impact Aid = $00.00; 8 Plex Apartments = ($ 1,799.92); Food Service = $144,317.20; Trust & Agency = $117,744.17; TOTAL = $1,112,338.74. WELLS FARGO = $12,276,486.03. WELLS FARGO CD = $16,005,594.76. UBS = $610,720.92.
D. Award copy paper bid:
Cole Papers - $23.80 per case, $19,992 total bid; Paper 101 - $22.87 per case, $19,210.80. Contract Paper Group - $23.06 per case, $19,370.40 total bid. Bid awarded to Cole Papers.
E. Award two bus bids: 83-89 passenger transit style bus – North Central Bus & Equipment - $94,475.41, bid awarded to North Central 71-77 passenger convention style bus – Harlow’s - $84,785.00, North Central $84,355.15, bid awarded to North Central.
F. Award Hobart dishwasher bid: Reinhart Food Service bid $46,370.00; Heart City Plumbing & Heating, LLC – equipment $34,821.00, installation $10,310.00, total $45,131.00, bid awarded to Heart City.
G. Motion by Bordeaux, second by Boyd to approve TCHS Trust & Agency account results.
H. Motion by Lanz, second by Bordeaux to approve ASBSD as consultant to conduct Superintendent Search.
I. Motion by Bordeaux, second by Boyd to approve $1,200 to help sponsor live coverage of the Annual Lakota Nation Invitational on December 13-16, 2017. Vote 3-1 (Lanz voted No)
J. Certified Contract Resignation: Angela Jameson, Elementary Teacher, TCES, effective October 24, 2017, with $1,60000 in liquidated damages
K. Certified Contract offer: Kristie Lindskov, Exceptional Education Teacher at Resource Center, $23,280 (prorated).
L. Supplemental Contract offers:
1. Joshua Larson, LNI Knowledge Bowl Advisor at TCHS, $893.00
2. Megan Valandra, Cheerleading Advisor at TCES, $893.00
3. Kayla Walkling, Elementary Track Coach at Lakeview School, $1,530.00
4. Julie Foster, Cheerleading Advisor at Lakeview School, $893.00
5. Julie Foster, Dance Advisor at Lakeview School, $893.00
M. Approve Support Staff recommendations:
1. Abigail Little Thunder, from 12 month Custodian to Para Professional at He Dog School, $12.00 per hour
1. Ed Menard, FS Assistant at TCES, effective immediately
2. Stephanie Night Pipe, Secretary Level II at Resource Center, effective November 10, 2017
3. Naiomi Rodriguez, FS Assistant at TCMS, effective November 3, 2017
1. Dusty Neiss, Manager II at He Dog School, for abandonment of position
2. Alan Jack, FS Assistant at He Dog School, for abandonment of position
3. Louis Selwyn, Security Guard at TCHS, for abandonment of position
4. Savad Jimenez Rodriguez, Custodian at TCES, for abandonment of position
1. Nikki Young, Exceptional Education Para Professional at Rosebud Elementary, $12.00 per hour
2. Tyler Left Hand Bull, Exceptional Education Para Professional at TCMS, $12.00 per hour
3. Will Guerue, Para Professional at Rosebud Elementary, $13.85 per hour
4. Nicole Black Lance, FS Assistant at High School Dining Hall, $9.70 per hour
5. Charles Clifford, FS Assistant at TCMS, $9.70 per hour
6. Regina Neiss, FS Manager II at He Dog School, $11.70 per hour
7. Jeffrey Dog Trail, FS Assistant at He Dog School, $9.70 per hour
Approve Substitutes, Volunteers:
1. Earlene Zimiga –Teacher/Teacher Aide, Secretary
2. Anna Huber – Teacher/Teacher Aide
3. Marisa Snider, Secretary
4. Laura Moore – Teacher/Teacher Aide, Food Service
5. Anlan Cheney – Teacher/Teacher Aide
6. Blake Burnette – Teacher/Teacher Aide
7. Holly Fay – Teacher/Teacher Aide
8. Robert Left Hand Bull – Custodian
9. Jobyna Plenty Horse – Teacher/Teacher Aide, Food Service
10. Lawrence Left Hand Bull – Teacher/Teacher Aide, Food Service, Suburban Driver
The next regular TCSD Board Meeting is Monday, November 27, 2017, 6 p.m., Rosebud Elementary.
The meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m.
Sandra K. Dillon, President
Chad Blotsky, Business Manager & Recorder
Published once at the total approximate cost of $121.59
Published: December 6, 2017